July 06, 2012

Things are Prettier in the Rain

Well, folks, two weeks late is better than never. The rainy season is officially here. While global warming is certainly messing weather cycles up all over the world, Korea is no different. It's a blessing, of course, since this country was about to plunge into a serious drought.

I woke up with a start at 5:00AM this morning to the most terrifying thunder I've heard in a long time. The flashes of lightning, with thunder following almost simultaneously, were amazingly  bright considering our bedroom is  a cave and the only window is in the kitchen and is the size of a computer monitor. The entire day was intermittent sprinkles with ridiculously heavy downpours. So heavy that many plants have fallen over, dirt is splattered all over the wall of the apartment building next door from our pots, and the roads, of course, are flooded.

We welcome the high humidity, (that humorously makes my students think I have a perm because my hair curls all over the place), because let's face it, everything is prettier in the rain:

second floor rooftop at my school

our first sunflower of the season in our driveway!

almost-ripe tomatoes and white lillies in a toilet

wet driveway garden
Besides getting stuck in the 1-10 minutes of monsoon downpours, and being sickeningly sweaty and sticky during class, I love the rain. The sound it makes pattering on my umbrella is one of my favorite things ever, and with my L.L. Bean rain boots, there's no need to get fussy about puddles ^__^

Another plus, we leave in 3 weeks from tomorrow and when we get back it will be over! Yessah!

No comments:

Post a Comment